Monday, June 15, 2009

Writer's Blo..g? Excuses for having nothing to say

I keep meaning to write a blog post. I really would like to get regular about writing this thing. Time managing, and all. And...its not like I dont WANT to write it. Its just that... I dont know what it is. But every time I carve out time to write a post, (a really really insightful one this time), I just cant think of anything truly interesting to say. Anything truly interesting that takes less than five minutes to read, that is. And if you can only think of interesting things that take longer than five minutes, then they are no longer interesting. True? I think so anyway. I thought of ten different topics sitting here staring at a cursor on an empty screen - the search for meaning in everyday life. The resounding truth of inevitable imperfection. Career - a calling or a copout? Why being in love deserves to be taxed just like beer and cigarettes. Airports (just airports. enough said). How I really believe (really) that entrepreneurshialism has the power to save (and brave) the world at large. Skinny jeans - they dont make us look skinny. All of these topics and more presented themselves to me for the taking. And yet not one of them seemed worth translating, even into a measely blog. Whether they reeked of Conde Nast (can blogs come with scratch-n-sniff perfume samples? because some of mine probably should), bordered on cynicism that is just trying to be cool, sounded suspiciously sentimental, or lily-leaped all over self-reiteousness in snow-white ballet slippers, none of them were worth pursuing. No offense, skinny jeans. And so, after fifteen minutes of my slotted "artistic" time elapsed, I found myself barbarously scratching off the dead skin on my right shin leftover from my sunburn two weeks ago while slurping cold bedtime tea and asking myself how long I had to sit here until I would be allowed to break into the no-transfat cardboard cookies I bought for four dollars more than delicious oreos. It was then that I decided to throw in the towel and call it a wash. Its a BLOG, not a term paper on French philosophy. Or a United Nations proposal for 2009 socio-economic development programs in 23 developing countries. Or even a self-help book (paperback, even). Better luck next time.
Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment