Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Polaroids

It is our last week in Bagamoyo, Tanzania. Three weeks of settling in and the last played out with a bang of activity. We scrape the barrel for every last drop, experience, image, walk, conversation, kitengue purchase. What an incompetent scribe memory is - with only room enough for the most splendid and the most wretched and so little to spare for what’s in between. It bends like copper in the fire around self perception, takes liberties under the interrogation of time and holds no loyalty to anyone. I am afraid that there is nothing sturdy in my human brain to lash those memories to, nothing to make them stay and keep them from rotting away to a few select polariods. Maybe the only way to know them someday will be to trace the way they will have carved me like a canyon, in the red, rough rock layers after all the water is dried up and gone. I hope I will be worthy enough of their then archeological narration. Just a passerby called upon to recite a great chief’s eulogy. What a shame, because there can be so much said about villages like this one and only so much time, only so many words with which to use. For now, these paragraphs and glimpses will have to suffice in the current moment and the rest to fare as best it can when thrown to the dogs of my memory.

2 comments:

  1. If I know Africa the way I think I know it, I believe you and Cappz will be forever remembered by everyone whose lives you have touched and for all the difference you are making. Great stories will be narrated about the "wazungus" that came and made a difference.
    Many will laugh at how you pronounced certain words, many will shed a tear or two having learned from you but most important most will understand the purpose of your visit (maybe much later) and will look back and appreciate you even more.

    I on the other hand will continue to tell the story as it continues to my family and friends and ask them to pay it forward. Now that Tanzania is coming close to an end, there is still a lot to see ahead. The majestic Kilimanjaro and the wonder of the world that is the Safari, there is Victoria Falls and the Nile in Uganda... alright, you know all these so I will say no more.

    On behalf on the mother land, I say..Asante Sana to you and Scott.

    ReplyDelete